Priests & Pastors
Pastors must be an integral and active part of any successful parish ministry. This is especially true of the parish Respect Life Ministry. The Respect Life Office Is a resource for our faithful in the pews, but also for our shepherds. Please take a few minutes to look around the website for ideas for your parish Respect Life Ministry.
Still not sure?
- "There are a lot of important issues that need to be discussed and sometimes it is just easier to not talk about topics like abortion, embryonic stem cell research and euthanasia, especially from the pulpit! "
- "I care deeply for the members of my parish and I do not want to hurt or upset anyone. This is the one place everyone should feel safe and welcome."
- "I am more comfortable talking about topics like helping the poor, the hungry, the sick, and the imprisoned."
- "I do not want to talk about political issues for fear of jeopardizing our tax-exempt status as a non-profit organization."
- "I think it is important to discuss these topics when necessary, but my parish is not really affected by these issues."
- "I would really like to talk about these issues but I do not feel adequately prepared or knowledgeable enough."
- "The gospel readings do not mention abortion, euthanasia, or stem cell research so why bring them up unnecessarily?"
If any of these comments sound familiar, please prayerfully consider contacting the Respect Life Office for more information or for assistance.
Designate a Parish Respect Life Coordinator
To learn about how your parish might benefit from having a Parish Respect Life Coordinator, please click here.
Materials that can be shared with the parishioner(s) you designate to be a Parish Respect Life Coordinator:
From the Pulpit
Pastoral ideas that have worked for a few of your fellow priests...
- October is Respect Life Month. For just one month, recite a rosary for life before or add a few pro-life intersessions at Mass.
- Participate in a local Life Chain event on Respect Life Sunday, the the first Sunday in October. This is a one-hour silent prayer vigil, usually in a prominent public location.
- Sponsor a Spiritual Adoption program during the school year or between the Feast of the Annunciation (March 25) and Christmas.
- Keep a stack of Project Rachel business cards in the confessional.
- Sponsor a March for Life pilgrim from your parish.
- Ask your parish Knights of Columbus council to sponsor a Meet Life baby bottle drive.
- Save a space in your weekly parish bulletin for a pro-life message or to promote pro-life events and activities..
- Keep the narthex/vestibule stocked with pamphlets and brochures from the diocese or from USCCB.
- Schedule a Missouri Right to Life Mother's Day carnation fundraiser.
- Adopt a local pregnancy resource clinic and host a parish fundraiser or gift drive or attend their annual fundraising banquet. Better yet, volunteer to give the invocation or closing prayer.
- Create a parish prayer team to support one of the Respect Life Office pastoral care programs.